Nick read Psychology in the Panteion University of Athens. After he completed an MSc in Organisational and Economic Psychology in the same university, Nick moved to University College in London (UCL) where he did his PhD under the supervision of Nigel Harvey. In his doctoral research, Nick investigated the accuracy of post-decisional emotional anticipations and the impact of such anticipations on decision behaviours.
Nick moved to Imperial College and the CSRU in April 2004 as a post-doctoral research associate. In April 2006, he was appointed Lecturer (joint appointment between the CSRU and the UK's National Patient Safety Agency). Nick is investigating decision-related emotions, surgical decision-making in real and simulated operating theatres, and diagnostic error.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Clinical Safety Research Unit
- Jacklin, R., Sevdalis, N., Darzi, A., & Vincent, C. A. (in press). Mapping decision making in surgical practice -- An interview study to evaluate decisions in surgical care. American Journal of Surgery.
- Sevdalis, N., & Harvey, N. (in press). Biased forecasting of post-decisional affect. Psychological Science.
- Sevdalis, N., & Harvey, N. (in press). “Investing” versus “investing for a reason”: Context effects in investment decisions. Journal of Behavioral Finance.
- Sevdalis, N., Healey, A. N., & Vincent, C. A. (in press). Distracting communications in the operating theatre. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice.
- Sevdalis, N., & Jacklin, R. (in press). Interaction effects and subgroup analyses in clinical trials: More than meets the eye? Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice.
- Healey, A. N., Sevdalis, N., & Vincent, C. A. (2006). Measuring intraoperative interference from distraction and interruption observed in the operating theatre. Ergonomics: Special Issue on Patient Safety, 49, 589-604.
- Healey, A. N., Undre, S., Sevdalis, N., Koutantji, M., & Vincent, C. A. (2006). The complexity of measuring interprofessional teamwork in the operating theatre. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 20, 485-495.
- Sevdalis, N., & Harvey, N. (2006). Predicting preferences: A neglected aspect of shared decision-making. Health Expectations, 9, 245-251. (With commentary, pp. 252-254.)
- Sevdalis, N., & Harvey, N. (2006). Determinants of willingness to pay in separate and joint evaluations of options: Context matters. Journal of Economic Psychology, 27, 377-385.
- Sevdalis, N., Harvey, N., & Yip, M. (2006). Regret triggers inaction inertia -- but which regret and how? British Journal of Social Psychology, 45, 839-853.
- Sevdalis, N., & Kokkinaki, F. (2006). The differential effect of realistic and unrealistic counterfactual thinking on regret. Acta Psychologica, 122,111-128.
- Sevdalis, N., & McCulloch, P. (2006). Teaching evidence-based decision-making. Surgical Clinics of North America, 86, 59-70.
- Sevdalis, N., Petrides, K. V., & Harvey, N. (2007). Trait emotional intelligence and decision-related emotions. Personality and Individual Differences, 42, 1347-1358.
- Undre, S., Sevdalis, N., Healey, A. N., Darzi, A., & Vincent, C. A. (2006). Teamwork in the operating theatre: Cohesion or confusion? Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 12, 182-189.
- Applied Statistics
Clinical Safety Research Unit
Imperial College London
10th Floor, QEQM, St. Mary's Hospital, S. Wharf Road
London W2 1NY
- Phone: (+44) 020 7886 6567
- Fax: (+44) 020 7886 1810